History of Bayley House

Bayley House has been part of the Brighton community since 1951. It was originally established by a group of parents under the auspice of the Helping Hand Association in order to provide support for intellectually disabled children and their families. Since then the Organisation has undergone several name changes and has grown significantly in the number services offered and the people we support.

1950s

  • Formation of the Brighton & Districts Branch of the Helping Hand Association
  • Purchase of 52 Middle Crescent after a generous donation from Mrs Kathleen Bayley

 1960s

  • Increased enrolments and opening of a Workshop & Training Unit

1970s

  • Opening of Bayley Lodge (our first residential property)
  • Redevelopment and opening of the main wing of Bayley House

 1980s

  • Bayley House School transferred to the State Education Department (1985)
  • Bayley House becomes an adult only service.
  • First residential house purchased
  • Martin Street shop purchased

 1990s

  • Sale of Bayley Lodge and purchase of several residential houses
  • Futures for Young Adults program introduced
  • Workshop becomes part of the day programs
  • Bayley House Foundation established

2000s

  • Bayley House expands into 54 Middle Crescent
  • Roxburgh House opened
  • Opening of Bayleys on Hampton

 2010s

  • Client numbers exceed 170
  • Land purchased in Mentone for future relocation of Helen Schutt House
  • Leasing & renovation of Noyes Street, Highett property
  • Residential properties increased to eight houses